You’ve heard of pineapple upside down cake. Maybe you’ve even tried a strawberry rhubarb pie or crisp. But what about a Strawberry Rhubarb Upside Down Cake?
This creative twist on the two classic desserts takes the best of both treats to make the ultimate spring-inspired cake. Two seasonal foods join forces in this lightened up cake recipe, which uses the cooking method of a pineapple upside down cake and the perfect pairing of strawberries and rhubarb. It’s a healthy baked good that’s perfect for Easter, Mother’s Day or just celebrating the arrival of warm weather!
Strawberry Rhubarb Upside Down Cake Recipe
To make these easy Easter dessert, preheat your oven to 350 degrees and grease a square baking pan with nonstick spray. Choose an 8×8″ or 9×9″ pan. In a saucepan, bring sliced rhubarb and water to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer it uncovered for six to eight minutes, then drain the water out.
In a bowl, toss the cooked rhubarb with sliced strawberries and lemon juice. In a separate large bowl, combine melted light butter, cinnamon, nutmeg and coconut sugar. Pour 2 tablespoons of the butter mixture into the cake pan, then top it with the strawberry rhubarb mixture.
To the remaining butter mixture, add eggs, nonfat plain Greek yogurt, unsweetened almond milk and lemon juice. Mix well, then add in whole wheat pastry flour and baking powder to create a batter. Spread the batter over the fruit and bake until the cake pulls away from the sides and the top is golden brown (about 30 to 40 minutes).
When it’s done baking, let the cake cool for 10 minutes. Run a knife around the edges and invert the cake onto a serving platter. Cut it into 12 squares before serving.
This recipe makes 12 servings, so it’s a great holiday dessert to enjoy with the whole family. They will never know it’s healthy and weight loss-approved! Each serving contains 115 calories.
Losing weight on Nutrisystem? Log your slice of cake in the NuMi app as one SmartCarb and one Extra. If you’d like to add another Extra, you can top your Strawberry Rhubarb Upside Down Cake with a light whipped topping.
If you’re not a fan of strawberries or happen to have another type of berry on hand, feel free to swap it in! The recipe would also be delicious with blackberries or raspberries.
More Strawberry Recipes for Spring
Looking for another way to enjoy the seasonal combination of sweet strawberries and rhubarb? You’ll love our recipe for Skinny Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble! Sliced strawberries and chunks of rhubarb are coated in a mixture of stevia and corn starch, then topped with a buttery crumble made from oats, light butter, sugar-free maple syrup and cinnamon. Get the full recipe below!:
Use up your spring strawberries to make these other seasonal recipes:
- Strawberry Lemon Mousse Cups >
- 4-Ingredient Key Lime Pie Stuffed Strawberries >
- Strawberry Feta Spinach Salad >
- No-Bake Strawberry Pie Parfait >
- Strawberry Kiwi Fruit Leather >
- Must-Try Strawberry Pie >
- Strawberry Oatmeal Cookies >
- Sweet Strawberry Cheesecake Pudding >
- Strawberry Lemon Icebox Cake >
No time for baking? Not to worry! With Nutrisystem, you can enjoy the sweet taste of strawberries without all the prep. Our Strawberry Shortcake Cupcake is perfectly portioned for weight loss and delivered directly to your door.
Calories per Serving: 120
On Nutrisystem, Count As: 1 SmartCarb and 1 Extra
- 2 cups sliced rhubarb (fresh or frozen)
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- ¾ cup water
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp lite butter, melted
- ¼ Tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 ½ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease 8x8" or 9x9" square cake pan with nonstick spray.
- In a saucepan, bring rhubarb and water to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 6-8 minutes. Drain.
- Toss rhubarb, strawberries and 1 tablespoon lemon juice in a bowl.
- Combine melted butter, cinnamon, nutmeg and coconut sugar in a large bowl.
- Pour 2 tablespoons of the butter mixture into the cake pan. Top with strawberry rhubarb mixture.
- Mix in the eggs, yogurt, milk and remaining 2 tablespoons of lemon juice to the remaining butter mixture.
- Add the flour and baking powder.
- Spread the batter over the fruit.
- Bake until the cake pulls away from the sides and the top is golden brown, about 30-40 minutes.
- Let cool for 10 minutes. Run a knife around the edges and invert the cake onto a serving platter. Cut into squares and serve.