Thanksgiving is just around the corner, which can only mean one thing – it’s time to start planning your menu! If you’re looking for an easy and tasty dish that will please a crowd, why not try this turkey pot pie recipe? It’s simple to make and loaded with flavor. Plus, it’s perfect for those cold fall and winter days. So put on your chef’s hat and get cooking!
How to Make Turkey Pot Pie
When it starts getting cold outside, all we want to do is curl up with a big bowl of comfort food. And there’s nothing more comforting than a turkey pot pie! This easy recipe is perfect for a quick weeknight meal. It’s easy to prepare and hearty enough to satisfy your hunger. The best part? You can make it ahead of time and store in the fridge or freezer for later. So go ahead and give it a try! We promise you won’t be disappointed.
Pro Tip: Got leftover turkey from Thanksgiving? Use it in this recipe so there’s less work for you in the kitchen!
To get started, preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Then, heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a medium or large pot on the stove. Add some carrots and onions and cook for about 10 minutes until they begin to soften. Next, add some poultry seasoning, whole wheat flour and black pepper to the veggies and stir well. Cook for another minute to let the spices infuse the mixture with flavor.
Stir in one cup of low sodium chicken broth and continue to stir until the mixture is smooth. Then, add in the last cup of broth, simmering over low heat until the gravy is nice and thick, around five minutes or so. Stir in some nonfat milk and cook the mixture for another minute.
Finally, remove the filling from the heat and add cooked turkey meat and green peas. To assemble your turkey pot pie, gently pour the turkey mixture into a baking or casserole dish, spreading it out evenly so that it will cook through nicely in the oven. Top it with 2 sheets of phyllo dough that have been brushed lightly with olive oil. Repeat this process with additional layers of phyllo dough and olive oil until you have used up all of your ingredients.
Pop your turkey pot pie into the oven and bake it for 20-25 minutes until it is golden brown and crispy on top. Let your turkey pot pie cool slightly before digging in – this flavorful recipe is sure to be a hit with friends and family!
Making an easy turkey pot pie recipe is a great way to enjoy a delicious, hearty meal any time of year. Whether you’re looking for a simple weeknight dinner or a tasty dish to share at Thanksgiving celebrations, this turkey pot pie recipe will satisfy all your comfort food cravings.
This recipe makes eight servings. Each serving contains 220 calories. On a Nutrisystem weight loss plan? Don’t forget to log your meal in your NuMi app journal as half of a SmartCarb, one PowerFuel, two Extras and half of a Vegetable serving.
Not a fan of turkey? Feel free to swap it out with chicken or beef! You could also use beef or veggie broth instead of chicken for a different flavor.
While there isn’t enough vegetables in this recipe to count as a full Vegetable serving, you can always add more! Add your favorite non-starchy vegetables to the pie, such as green beans or mushrooms.
More Tasty Turkey Recipes
- Lean Turkey Meatloaf with Oatmeal >
- Chipotle Turkey Meatballs >
- Turkey Burger Patty Melt >
- Instant Pot Turkey Butternut Squash Soup >
- Turkey Roulade >
- Roasted Turkey and Avocado BLT >
- Slow Cooker Roasted Turkey >
- Turkey Pierogies >
- Butternut Squash Turkey Chili >
Calories per Serving: 220
On Nutrisystem, Count As: ½ SmartCarb, 1 PowerFuel, 2 Extras and ½ Vegetable
- 1 lb. cooked turkey meat, chopped
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 tsp. poultry seasoning
- 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth, low sodium
- 1/2 cup nonfat milk (or other type of milk)
- 1 cup green peas
- 6 phyllo dough sheets
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a medium or large pot. Add carrots and onions. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Add poultry seasoning, flour and pepper. Cook for another minute.
- Add 1 cup of broth and stir until smooth. Then add the last cup of broth and simmer until thick, about 5 minutes.
- Add milk and cook for another minute.
- Remove from heat and add turkey and peas. Pour mixture into a baking or casserole dish.
- Top with 2 sheets of phyllo dough. Brush lightly with olive oil. Repeat with remaining phyllo dough and oil.
- Bake in oven for 20-25 minutes. Let pie cool for a few minutes before serving.