If you’re looking for an easy, healthy snack, air fryer plantains are the way to go! They’re sweet, nutritious, and downright delicious. Plus, they’re really simple to make – all you need is a few minutes and an air fryer. They make a great snack or side dish. Plus, they’re vegan and gluten-free! Want to learn how to make air fryer plantains? Keep reading!
How to Make Plantains in the Air Fryer
Air fryer plantains are a delicious, healthy alternative to fried plantains. This easy recipe is a great way to enjoy the delicious flavor of plantains without all the fat and calories. You only need two ingredients, plus your favorite seasonings and spices!
To make air fryer plantains, get started by preheating your air fryer to 375 degrees. Peel a ripe plantain by carefully running a knife through the skin lengthwise. (Pro Tip: You can tell that a plantain is ripe if it’s yellow with some brown spots!).
Remove and discard the skin, then slice the plantain diagonally into half-inch thick pieces. Toss the plantain slices in canola oil and sprinkle them with your seasonings of choice (keep reading for some ideas!).
Place the plantains into the air fryer in a single layer. Cook them for 12 to 15 minutes, flipping them over halfway through the cooking time. Repeat this process with the remaining plantains.
Seasonings and Spices
Any plantain recipe is made better with the right seasoning. You can use different seasonings and spices to give them a unique flavor. Whether you’re air frying, frying, or baking plantains, there are a few different spices and seasonings that can really take your dish to the next level.
One of our personal favorites is a simple mixture of salt, pepper and garlic powder. This gives the plantains a little bit of salty flavor, a kick of heat from the pepper, and a nice depth of flavor from the garlic. Another great option is to add a teaspoon or two of curry powder to the seasoning mix. is gives the plantains a beautiful golden color and a delicious Indian-inspired flavor. If you want something with a little more heat, you could also add some cayenne pepper to the mix.
For a savory dish, try adding some garlic powder, onion powder or cumin. If you want something a little sweet and spicy, cinnamon or nutmeg are great choices. And for something truly exotic, try adding a little turmeric or garam masala.
No matter what flavors you prefer, there’s a seasoning out there that will complement your air fryer plantains perfectly. So don’t be afraid to experiment until you find the perfect combination for your taste buds!
More Healthy Air Fryer Recipes
Add these other nutritious and delicious air fryer recipes to your weight loss menu:
- Air Fryer Parmesan Zucchini Bites >
- Air Fryer Chicken Taquitos >
- Air Fryer Mexican Street Corn >
- Air Fryer Boneless Garlic Parmesan Chicken Bites >
- Air Fryer Fried Green Tomatoes >
- Air Fryer Mini Baked Potatoes >
- Air Fryer Potato Chips >
- Air Fryer Chocolate Chip Cookies >
- Air Fryer Protein Pasta Chips >
*Please note that all air fryers cook differently. Before trying any recipe, always refer to the manufacturer safety instructions provided with your specific air fryer.
Calories per Serving: 130
On Nutrisystem, Count As: 1 SmartCarb and ½ Extra
- 1 ripe plantain (yellow with some brown spots)
- 1 tsp. canola oil
- Seasonings, to taste
- Preheat air fryer to 375 F.
- Peel plantain by carefully running a knife through the skin lengthwise. Remove and discard the skin.
- Slice plantain diagonally into ½" thick pieces
- Toss plantains in oil and sprinkle with seasoning of choice.
- Place plantains into the air fryer in a single layer. Cook for 12-15 minutes, flipping halfway through the cooking time.
- Repeat process with remaining plantains.
- *Please note that all air fryers cook differently. Before trying any recipe, always refer to the manufacturer safety instructions provided with your specific air fryer.