Baked Spicy Acorn Squash RecipeRecipe posted in: Flex Meals & Snacks, Snacks, Lunches & Dinners, Sides
You haven’t had acorn squash like this before! We take this autumn staple to the next level with a spicy sauce that’s packed with fresh flavor. Nutritious acorn squash wedges are baked to perfection and finished with a generous drizzle of a zesty homemade topping: a beautiful blend of lime juice, jalapeno peppers, garlic, chili powder and fresh cilantro.
One serving of this spicy Baked Spicy Acorn Squash clocks in at just 78 calories. Winter squash is considered a SmartCarb on the Nutrisystem program. You can count this recipe as half of a SmartCarb and one Extra in your NuMi app journal. Click here to log this recipe in NuMi! >
Healthy Hacks: Can’t handle the heat? You can easily replace the jalapeno peppers with sweet bell peppers. Feel free to also swap out the chili powder with a more mild spice. Try some onion powder or garlic powder for a savory sauce that’s just as delicious! Lemon juice can be substituted for lime juice and fresh basil is the perfect swap for cilantro. All of these ingredients are considered Free Food on Nutrisystem, so season until your taste buds are content!
This hearty fall side dish would pair perfectly with meat or fish and a green veggie! Need some ideas? Get some recipe inspiration from the deliciousness below:
- Slow Cooker Roasted Turkey >
- Herb Crusted Pork Chops >
- One-Pan Greek Fish and Vegetables >
- Roasted Red Onion Brussels Sprouts >
- Air Fryer Meatloaf >
- Simple Roasted Broccoli >
- Miso Salmon with Kale and Beets >
- Filet Mignon with Mushroom Cream Sauce >
- Spicy Teriyaki Tuna Steak >
- Fall Spinach Salad with Apple Vinaigrette >
- One-Pan Blackened Cod and Vegetables >
- Air Fryer Dry Rubbed Chicken Bites >
- Jalapeno Cheese Stuffed Chicken >
Reach your weight loss goals with a convenient meal delivery service! Nutrisystem sends perfectly portioned meals and snacks directly to your door. Learn more about our programs here! >
Calories per Serving: 78
On Nutrisystem, Count As: ½ SmartCarb and 1 Extra
- 1 acorn squash
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- ½ jalapeno or chili pepper, chopped finely
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ tsp. chili powder
- 2 Tbsp. cilantro chopped
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Cut acorn squash in half and scoop out seeds and pulp. Place the cut side down and cut each half into about 5-6 wedges (10-12 total).
- Line baking sheet with foil and coat with nonstick spray.
- Place the acorn squash wedges onto the baking sheet and spray them with the nonstick spray. Season with black pepper.
- Roast for 22-25 minutes or until soft, flipping halfway through the cooking time.
- While squash is roasting, combine remaining ingredients in a small bowl.
- When squash is finished, drizzle the spicy sauce on top before serving.