Honey Glazed Chicken SkewersRecipe posted in: Flex Meals & Snacks, Lunches & Dinners, Appetizers, Main Courses
Cookouts call for easy recipes that satisfy big appetites. Keep things simple (and super delicious) with protein-packed finger foods that don’t take hours to prepare! Take these Honey Glazed Chicken Skewers for example: They pack in the protein and flavor with just a handful of ingredients and a few easy steps. Pick your favorite cooking method (we’ve provided three easy options), then dig into tender, honey glazed chicken threaded onto skewers for easy eating.
How to Make Healthy Honey Glazed Chicken Skewers
Featuring a homemade glaze made from honey, chili powder, garlic, oil, low sodium soy sauce and lime juice, these chicken skewers are sweet, savory and a little spicy. After marinating one pound of chicken bites in the glaze for an hour, place them onto six skewers and get cooking. (Pro Tip: If you’re using wooden skewers, make sure to soak them in water for an hour before using.)
You can use the grill, oven or air fryer to cook your chicken. Your desired cooking method may depend on the season or weather where you are located. If it’s summer or hot where you are, consider grilling up your skewers in the great outdoors. If it’s winter and the weather is chilly, the oven will warm up your home and cook the chicken perfectly. Finally, the air fryer is a favorite method no matter the season! All three options come out equally delicious.
There are so many ways to transform these Honey Glazed Chicken Skewers into a custom creation:
Add a vegetable serving by alternating your skewers with chicken and sliced non-starchy veggies. You can use tomatoes, onions, mushrooms, zucchini or bell peppers. Pick your favorites and enjoy!
If you’d like to add a SmartCarb to this easy appetizer, fresh pineapple pairs great with the sweet and spicy flavors of the marinade. Simply alternate chicken with chunks of pineapple when preparing your skewers. We love this option on the grill in the summertime!
Finally, feel free to add or adjust the spices in your marinade. Can’t handle the heat? Skip the chili powder! Love garlic? Add more! Sodium-free spices and herbs are Free Foods on Nutrisystem, so you can season until your heart’s content.
More Delicious Skewer Recipes
Serve up these other healthy skewer ideas at your next cookout or football party:
Calories per Serving: 152
On Nutrisystem, Count As: 1 PowerFuel and 2 Extras
- 1 lb. chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tsp. canola oil
- 1 Tbsp. soy sauce, low sodium
- 1 lime, juiced
- 6 skewers
- Whisk honey, chili powder, garlic, oil, soy sauce and lime juice together in a small bowl.
- Add the chicken to the sauce. Toss until well coated. Cover and marinate for at least 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, if using wooden skewers, soak them in water for an hour before using.
- Add skewers to a hot grill and cook for 10-12 minutes, rotating every few minutes, until chicken is fully cooked.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Bake skewers for 16-18 minutes, rotating halfway through the cooking time, until chicken is fully cooked.
- Air Fryer
- Air fry skewers at 400°F for 10 minutes, rotating halfway through the cooking time.
- *Please note that all air fryers cook differently. Before trying any recipe, always refer to the manufacturer safety instructions provided with your specific air fryer.