One-Pot Cajun Shrimp and Sausage StewRecipe posted in: Flex Meals & Snacks, Lunches & Dinners, Main Courses
Soup season has arrived! Cozy up to this hot and hearty stew that’s rich in protein and bold flavor. Two tasty PowerFuels come together in this Cajun Shrimp and Sausage Stew recipe that’s perfect for chilly weather.
Whether you need a simple one-pot dinner that’s easy to prepare (and clean up) or your simply craving a hot bowl of Cajun-flavored goodness, this dish is for you. It features simple ingredients that fit into your weight loss plan while also crushing hunger and keeping you full.
As we already mentioned, cooking up this Shrimp and Sausage Stew is super easy. Get started by heating olive oil over medium heat in a large pot. Add diced celery, chopped bell peppers, chopped onions and minced garlic. Cook for about five minutes, then add in sliced sausage. You can use chicken or turkey sausage depending on what you enjoy or have on hand. Cook the sausage until it is browned.
Next, pour in the broth and break up the brown bits that may be stuck to the bottom of the pot. Add in a can of low-sodium crushed tomatoes, a bay leaf, oregano, Cajun seasoning and some black pepper. Cover and cook for 10 minutes. Finally, add the shrimp and simmer the stew for eight minutes or until it’s fully cooked. Garnish with chopped basil and dig in!
One serving of this Cajun Shrimp and Sausage Stew recipe comes in just under 300 calories. The recipe makes five servings, so it’s great if you’re meal prepping healthy dinners for the week. If you’re on a Nutrisystem weight loss plan, you can log this dish as two PowerFuels and one Vegetable serving in your NuMi app journal.
Healthy Hack: Make this dish like a shrimp and sausage jambalaya by adding some brown rice. Just remember to count this towards your SmartCarbs for the day.
Celebrate soup season with these other healthy soups and stews for your weight loss plan:
- Unlimited Slow Cooker Vegetable Stew >
- Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup >
- Instant Pot Beef Stew >
- Unlimited Creamy Broccoli Cauliflower Soup >
- Easy Slow Cooker Taco Soup with Ground Beef >
- Chicken Tikka Masala Soup >
- Instant Pot Turkey Butternut Squash Soup >
- Slow Cooker Parmesan Chicken Stew >
- Slow Cooker Moroccan Lentil Soup >
Looking for healthy meals without any prep work? Nutrisystem has a plan for you! Learn more about our program >
Calories per Serving: 296
On Nutrisystem, Count As: 2 PowerFuels and 1 Vegetable
- 12 oz. chicken or turkey sausage, sliced
- 1 lb. shrimp, tails removed
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 28-oz. can crushed tomatoes, low sodium
- ¾ cup vegetable broth, low sodium
- ½ tsp. oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- ¾ tsp. Cajun seasoning
- Black pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup fresh basil, chopped
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large pot.
- Add celery, bell pepper, onion and garlic. Cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add sausage and cook until browned.
- Pour in broth and break up brown bits.
- Add tomatoes, bay leaf, oregano, Cajun seasoning and black pepper.
- Cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add shrimp and simmer for 8 minutes or until cooked.
- Garnish with chopped basil.