We’re serving up turnips front and center in a warm grain salad filled with leafy greens, creamy goat cheese and fiber-rich farro. You only need nine simple ingredients to put together this Roasted Turnip Salad that’s filling enough to be a meal.
Turnips are an underappreciated veggie and you rarely see them featured as the main course of a recipe. However, this delicious root has some hidden superpowers! According to Medical News Today, they have been shown to decrease blood pressure and help with weight loss and digestion. Turnips are also rich vitamin C, a nutrient that is known for its important role in the immune system. Learn more about the health benefits of turnips here. >
In the kitchen, you can use turnips as a low carb pasta substitute by putting them through a spiralizer! You can also incorporate them in a lightened-up potato salad or in creamy mashed potatoes. Looking for another tasty turnip recipe? Try our healthy Turnip Veggie Patty! >
To make this Roasted Turnip Salad, get started by preheating your oven to 375 degrees. Cut one medium-sized turnip into one-inch cubes and toss it with one teaspoon of olive oil. Season with black pepper and place the turnips on a lined baking sheet. Bake them for 30 to 40 minutes or until cooked through.
While your turnips are roasting, prep the rest of the salad. Create a salad dressing in a small bowl by mixing together one teaspoon of olive oil with one tablespoon of lemon juice and black pepper to taste. Toss the simple dressing with one cup of an arugula and spinach mix. Top the salad with the a few thin slices of red onion, one thinly sliced radish, the roasted turnips, one half-cup of farro and one ounce of goat cheese.
This Roasted Turnip Salad clocks in at 377 calories. You can log it into your NuMi app as one SmartCarb, one PowerFuel, two Extras and two Vegetables. If you haven’t downloaded NuMi yet, what are you waiting for?! This FREE online tracking tool is easy to use and has many great features. Learn more about these features by checking out NuMi 101: A Comprehensive Guide to Our Free Tracking App >
Spring is right around the corner and sweet and savory salads are on the menu! Check out some of our favorite spring salad recipes below:
- Asparagus Caprese Salad >
- Asian Cashew and Farro Salad >
- Blueberry Quinoa Salad >
- Mason Jar Cobb Salad >
- Creamy Cauliflower “Potato Salad” >
- Red Potato Salad >
- Sesame Soy Cucumber Salad >
- Arugula Beet Salad with Orange Slices >
- Heirloom Tomato Salad >
Get healthy and lose weight with delicious meals delivered directly to your door! Learn more about the Nutrisystem program >
Calories per Serving: 377
On Nutrisystem, Count As: 1 SmartCarb, 1 PowerFuel, 2 Extras and 2 Vegetables
- 1 medium turnip, washed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup arugula and spinach mix
- 2-3 thin slices red onion
- 1 medium radish, sliced thinly
- ½ cup cooked farro
- 1 oz. goat cheese
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- Black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Toss cubed turnips with 1 teaspoon of olive oil and season with black pepper.
- Place the turnips on a lined baking sheet and bake for 30-40 minutes or until cooked through.
- In a small bowl, mix the remaining 1 teaspoon of olive oil with lemon juice and black pepper.
- Toss dressing with the arugula and spinach mix. Top with the sliced red onion, radishes roasted turnips, farro and goat cheese.