Springtime and sunshine have us craving fresh and flavorful recipes that pack in the colorful veggies of the season. One of our favorite spring foods, asparagus, is the star of the show in this Easter-inspired egg bake that’s perfect for a fancy occasion. Our Spring Asparagus Frittata recipe is as pretty as it is delicious!
Seasonal spring vegetables unite in this hearty yet healthy frittata that features shallots, spinach, asparagus tips and a duo of Swiss and parmesan cheeses. It’s a simple dish that’s easy enough for an ordinary weekend but fancy enough for a special occasion. We think it’s perfect for any upcoming spring holiday like Easter or Mother’s Day!
Our Spring-Inspired Recipe for a Frittata with Asparagus
A frittata may sound like a difficult breakfast or brunch to prepare. However, this Asparagus Frittata recipe is super easy to make and doesn’t require any complicated steps or ingredients!
Grab an oven-safe cast iron skillet and place it on the stovetop over medium heat. Heat one teaspoon of olive oil, then add one tablespoon of chopped shallots and one cup of asparagus tips.
Sauté the veggies until they are soft, then place them into a large mixing bowl with four whole eggs, four egg whites, two cups of frozen spinach (thawed with the water squeezed out), a half-cup of unsweetened almond milk, a half-cup of parmesan cheese, a half-cup of shredded Swiss cheese, a quarter-teaspoon of black pepper and a quarter-teaspoon of baking powder. Whisk the mixture until everything is well combined.
Heat another teaspoon of olive oil in the cast iron skillet, then pour in the egg mixture. Cook the eggs over medium heat for about three minutes. Once the bottom has set, place the skillet into a 350 degree oven for about 15 to 20 minutes, until the frittata is fully set.
This Spring Asparagus Frittata recipe makes six servings. Each serving is 160 calories. On a Nutrisystem weight loss plan? You can log this morning meal as one and a half PowerFuels, half of an Extra and half of a Vegetable serving in your NuMi app journal.
If asparagus is your favorite veggie, feel free to add more to the top of your frittata! A couple of steamed spears atop the finished dish is a beautiful presentation that is perfect for spring. Plus, non-starchy vegetables like asparagus are unlimited on Nutrisystem, so you can always enjoy more if you’re hungry!
Like most egg dishes, this fresh and flavorful frittata is easy to customize. You can add in other non-starchy veggies that you enjoy, such as mushrooms or tomatoes. If you’d like to add a SmartCarb to the dish, you can add in fresh green peas or serve it with some whole grain toasted baguette.
Want to pump up the protein with another PowerFuel? Make an asparagus bacon frittata with some chopped low-sodium turkey bacon, or garnish your dish with some more parmesan cheese.
Even More Healthy Egg Recipes
Start your day the healthy way! Add these other delicious egg recipes to your weight loss menu:
- TikTok Tortilla Hack Breakfast Wrap >
- Baked Egg and Toast Cups >
- Yellow Summer Squash Frittata >
- Simple Smoked Salmon and Spinach Frittata >
- Air Fryer Frittata >
- Vegetable Quiche with Sweet Potato Crust >
- Egg White and Spinach Breakfast Burrito >
- One-Pan Chickpea Shakshuka >
- Turkey Sausage Breakfast Burrito >
- French Onion Breakfast Naan Flatbread >
Want breakfast made easy? Get convenient and tasty meals delivered to your door with Nutrisystem! From sweet morning muffins and egg sandwiches to breakfast bars and omelets, we’ve got perfectly portioned breakfast options that make losing weight easy and delicious. Explore our breakfast menu and get started with a plan today! >
Calories per Serving: 160
On Nutrisystem, Count As: 1 ½ PowerFuels, ½ Extra and ½ Vegetable
- 1 Tbsp. shallot, chopped
- 2 cups frozen spinach, thawed and water squeezed out
- 1 cup asparagus tips
- 4 eggs
- 4 egg whites
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tsp. olive oil, divided
- ½ cup parmesan cheese
- ½ cup shredded Swiss cheese
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- ¼ tsp. baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil in a medium oven-safe cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add shallots and asparagus tips, and sauté until soft.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine eggs, spinach, asparagus, shallots, almond milk, cheeses, black pepper and baking powder.
- Heat remaining 1 teaspoon of olive oil in cast iron skillet. Pour in the egg mixture and cook over medium heat for about 3 minutes to allow the bottom to set.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes, until frittata is fully set.