Shrimp Tacos with Avocado Lime Yogurt SauceRecipe posted in: Flex Meals & Snacks, Lunches & Dinners, Main Courses
Cinco de Mayo falls on a Taco Tuesday this year! What better way to celebrate than with tasty tacos?! However, this Mexican classic can easily go from a diet-friendly option to diet destruction if you aren’t careful. Stay on track this holiday while enjoying these healthy Shrimp Tacos with Avocado Lime Yogurt Sauce. Your favorite Mexican restaurant can’t compete with the nutritional profile of this delicious dish.
If you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo at home this year, it’s the perfect time to practice your cooking skills with healthy Mexican recipes. You’ve come to the right place to find lightened up versions of many classic meals. Not only is this recipe for shrimp tacos healthy but it’s also delicious and easy to make. Even your family will be excited to dig into these tasty tacos.
The ingredient list for this recipe might seem a little extensive. However, if you take a closer look you will notice that many of the components are common staples that you may have on hand. Get started by preparing your shrimp marinade in a large bowl. Mix together chili powder, paprika, cumin, oregano, minced garlic, red pepper flakes, lime juice and olive oil. Add your shrimp to the marinade and refrigerate it for at least 30 minutes.
While your shrimp is marinating, create the yogurt sauce in a food processor. Add avocado, lime juice, nonfat plain Greek yogurt, cilantro, garlic, jalapeno, black pepper and water then blend until smooth. Use a small amount of this yogurt sauce to lightly coat some coleslaw mix (a blend of shredded carrots and cabbage).
Now that the shrimp has had some time to marinate, it’s time to get cooking! Spray a skillet with nonstick spray and set it to medium-high heat. Place the shrimp in one layer and cook for about five to seven minutes, flipping halfway through the cooking time. Once the shrimp has cooked through, assemble your tacos. Lay out eight corn tortillas on a flat surface and divide the cabbage mixture evenly between them. Top each taco with a few shrimps and drizzle with the remaining yogurt sauce. Garnish with more cilantro and lime wedges before digging in.
One serving of theses Shrimp Tacos with Avocado Lime Yogurt Sauce contains 300 calories and counts as one SmartCarb, one PowerFuel and two Extras on the Nutrisystem program. If you’d like to add a Vegetable serving, feel free to top your tacos with more non-starchy veggies, such as diced tomatoes, onions, bell peppers and shredded lettuce. One serving of vegetables is either one cup of raw veggies or a half-cup of cooked veggies. Keep track of your four required vegetable servings each day by keeping a personal food journal throughout your weight loss journey. The NuMi app is the perfect online tracking tool for your Nutrisystem plan. Click here to log your tacos in the NuMi app. >
Searching for more fiesta flavors for your Cinco de Mayo fun? Check out these other delicious and nutritious recipes:
- Easy Chicken Enchiladas >
- Mexican Zucchini Boats >
- Must-Have Mojito Mocktail >
- Mexican Street Corn Dip Recipe >
- Spicy Shrimp Quesadilla >
- Mexican Sweet Potato Toast >
- Virgin Jalapeno Lemon Margarita >
- Bell Pepper Nachos >
- Crunchy Turkey Taco Wrap >
- Shrimp Fajita Bowl >
- Simple and Spicy Instant Pot Carnitas >
- One-Pan Tofu Fajitas >
- Fish Tacos >
Are you in need of a healthy meal delivery service? We’re here for you! Learn more about Nutrisystem meal plans >
Servings: 4 (1 serving = 2 tacos)
Calories per Serving: 300
On Nutrisystem, Count As: 1 SmartCarb, 1 PowerFuel and 2 Extras
- 1 lb. shrimp, raw
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. paprika
- ½ tsp. cumin
- ½ tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- ½ avocado
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 Tbsp. nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 2 Tbsp. cilantro
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ jalapeno, seeds removed
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1 Tbsp. water
- 1 cup coleslaw mix (cabbage and carrots)
- 8 corn tortillas
- In a large bowl, mix together the shrimp marinade ingredients. Add in the shrimp and toss to coat. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- In a food processor, combine the yogurt sauce ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Toss a small amount of the yogurt sauce with the coleslaw mix vegetables.
- To cook the shrimp, spray a skillet with nonstick spray and set to medium-high heat. Place shrimp in one layer and cook 5-7 minutes or until cooked, flipping halfway through the cooking time.
- To assemble the tacos, lay out the tortillas and divide the cabbage mixture evenly between them. Top each taco with a few shrimps.
- Drizzle the tacos evenly with the remaining yogurt sauce. Garnish with more cilantro and lime wedges.